The LDS Global Style teams needed user feedback to validate their efforts in unifying the visual design of the LDS Church’s many sites and sub-sites. They also needed to understand the organization’s internal processes to help smooth the transition to the new style and process.
Over the course of 3 years I assisted with and then led many research projects and was involved with many iterations of the UX design, giving data and analysis to the UI/UX designers. Some, but not all, of the projects are outlined below.
Phase 1: International Research (Recruiting)
As a research assistant, I helped coordinate and recruit for focus groups and surveys done in over a dozen countries and in a dozen languages with members of the LDS church and coordinated with vendors to run and recruit for non-LDS groups.
Phase 2: Landing Pages (IA inventory/Heat Maps/Analytics)
I referenced hundreds of existing pages and sub-sites to inventory common layouts and UX design patterns. I used mouse movement and scrolling heat maps (from ClickTale) to learn how users were currently using the landing/navigation pages.
I recommended that landing pages feature content and features relevant to the users’ primary goal of fulfilling their religious responsibilities, rather than business-suggested content.
Phase 3: Iconography (Competitive Analysis)
I compared our icons with competitors and industry research on iconography (A/B testing, usability testing, analytics) and learned that if most icons don’t have a label or a not located where the user expects, they will be confused as to the icon’s purpose.
Phase 4: Sub-Navigation (Testing/Iteration)
I coordinated and conducted usability testing (local, remote, in Spanish and in English) on different variants of the sub-navigation designs.
I learned that arrows were confusing on a mobile device and a fade to white was not discoverable and recommended utilizing a simple swipe interaction and some affordances to aid discoverability.
Phase 5: Template Implementation (Testing/Iteration)
Over several years I ran many rounds of usability testing and did many heuristic evaluations to improve the design of media pages, lesson and manual pages, and other content-heavy pages.
I recommended that two media page types be combined (one had filters and one had a better thumbnail view), that repetitive content be merged, and that third-level navigation be featured more prominently.
Phase 6: Internal Adoption (Testing/UX Design)
I tested the systems and the process for the new unified visual style with users via usability testing, focus groups, interviews, and journey mapping.
I recommended that all relevant experts-on-the-ground be consulted through each iteration of the process or expensive issues would follow (as with prior system changes when experts were not consulted).
I recommended that the following process be followed for developing the new system: